We are launching the Acton Buckhead with our Elementary Studio
for children in traditional grades of 1-5 to start in September 2019
At Acton Academy we lay the foundation for the joy of learning as we encourage our young heroes to find their life’s calling and tap into their unique genius. Our well-balanced educational experience ignites curiosity, creativity, and the ability to ask good questions.
Every year at Acton, we build small businesses from the ground-up.
- Field trips and guest presenters to extend learning beyond the classroom.
- Outdoor space with playground, open grass area, and community garden.
- Student led PE with different activities every week.
- No homework or frequent testing.
- Fun and enriching family activities to foster a strong school community.
21st Century Learning
- The latest in educational technology for self-paced mastery of reading, writing and math skills.
- Deep Socratic discussions about heroes, history and self-governance to hone critical thinking skills and the ability to powerfully think, write and speak.
- Hands-on project based Quests to master the tools and skills needed to solve problems in the real world.
- Written promises and covenants that form a tightly bound community of individuals learning to form authentic friendships and honestly resolve interpersonal problems.
Our Philosophy of Learning
We believe that:
Clear thinking leads to good decisions,
Good decisions lead to the right habits,
The right habits lead to character and
Character becomes destiny.
A Learner-Driver Community
- Students create and sign a Contract of Promises describing how each individual will act and the consequences for violating community norms.
- Mentor teams encourage younger and older students to listen, affirm, set goals and hold each other accountable.
- “Learn to Be” badges that celebrate character and completing leadership challenges.
Young heroes celebrate the mastery of tools, skills and character by earning badges, assembling portfolios and taking part in public exhibitions.
- Parents use badges to track academic progress in Core Skills like reading, writing, math and spelling and character development in “Learn to Be” Badges.
- Electronic and hard copy Portfolios capture rough drafts, photos, video and other creative work.
- Public exhibitions at the end of most Quests allow young heroes to present work to experts, customers or the public for a real world test.